Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Art of Movie Review Embargoes


Have you ever been curious about the reviews for an upcoming film and decided to go to a website like Rotten Tomatoes to see its score, only to find that there are no reviews up for it yet? This seems to be the case more and more often, due to film studios relying heavily on review embargoes. A review embargo is when studios allow film critics to watch early screenings of a film on the condition that the critics release their reviews at a date that is set by the studio. For most films coming out today, embargoes are lifted just days before they are released.

Review embargoes are a tool that studios utilize in order to maximize public turnout for movies. If the embargo for a new Star Wars movie lifted on the Wednesday before its Friday opening, then suddenly the internet would be filled with content about the movie, typically causing great traction on social media. However, there is a more cynical reason for review embargoes.Certain films have review embargoes that are set for the very day that those films are released. Why? The answer is simple: the studio has no confidence in the film performing well critically, and is trying to suppress negative reviews for as long as possible so that they do not keep people away from the theater.

I understand the need for embargoes up to a certain point. Particularly for the tent-pole blockbusters, it makes sense that film studios want to have reviews up at the same time to receive the greatest amount of buzz. I also understand to a lesser extent the wish to protect spoilers until a film is out. However, the need to suppress overwhelming negative reviews until the last minute, while logical, just feels dishonest to me. I really wonder how much the general public understands about how film review embargoes operate, and if they have a significant effect on people who are not necessarily movie-buffs. 

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting I did not know how review embargoes worked. I also think it is interesting how sometimes movies receive very different scores between the general public and critics. Movie critics often look for artistic value or deeper meanings and may score something highly based off of that but that same movie may not appeal to a majority of the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting to read, because I had never heard of this before. I don't normally look at movie reviews, and just rely on word of mouth from people who have seen the movie. I agree with you that this is not very honest, especially for them to wait until the day of to release the reviews, but it makes sense. Now that I have been informed on what review embargoes are, I think I'll stick to my word of mouth technique and wait a few days before seeing the movie myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew about how review embargoes work. I always wait until the review comes out and then decide whether I should watch the movie or not. Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete